In an attempt to use all of the fresh basil I bought at Trader Joe's last week, I made these two delicious recipes.....
Garlic Basil Shrimp (pictured above)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/4 pounds large shrimp(20 to 25 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon dried hot red-pepper flakes, or more to taste
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then saute shrimp, turning over once, until just cooked through, about 2 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a large bowl.
Add garlic and red pepper flakes to the oil remaining in skillet and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add wine and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Stir in basil and tomatoes and season the sauce with salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste. Return the shrimp to pan and cook just until heated through.
Per Serving: 6 WW pointsPrintable recipe is here
TIP...When cooking shrimp, don't let them cook into an "O" shape. They should look more like a "C" when they are ready. Remember "O" is overcooked and "C" is cooked.
Grilled Chicken with Basil and Lemon Dressing
• 4 lemon(s)
• 2/3 cup(s) olive oil, divided
• 6 chicken breast halves, boneless skinless
• 1 1/2 tsp salt, divided
• 1 tsp pepper, divided
• 1 cup(s) fresh basil, loosely packed
• 1 clove(s) garlic
1. Marinade - combine 1/3 cup olive oil, 3 tbsp of lemon juice, 3/4 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper in a resealable plastic bag. Pound chicken to an even thickness. Add chicken breasts, seal the bag, and massage the marinade into the chicken. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or longer.
2. While marinating, blend the basil, garlic, 1 tsp lemon zest, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 3/4 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper until smooth (with a food processor or blender). Gradually blend in 1/3 cup of olive oil.
3. Grill chicken over medium-high heat for 7 - 10 minutes per side, depending on thickness.
4. Serve chicken on platter. Drizzle chicken with basil and lemon dressing. Serve with extra dressing on the side.
Printable recipe is here